Saturday, May 7, 2011

Monopoly

"I'm gonna make you cry" I teased

"I'm not gonna" Wookie replied as she helped set up the monopoly game.

I was just getting her psyched for our epic game.

Wookie always wants to play monopoly but is seldom accommodated. It's a long game. When I was her age I was the one trying to get others to play.  Understanding her frustration, I suggested we set up a game and play it for a limited amount of time each night. She thought that was a great idea. We've had the board set up on a card table in the office for the past week.

Technically we are on game three. Wookie would say the first two were mulligans.  Both involved me owning a lot of houses and some luck of the dice. Incredibly Wookie managed to land on my Park Place or Broadway three times in a row. Each time I had added another house.

"I get to go in debt" she said.

"What!, she's been watching the Fed" I thought?

"No, that's not part of the rules" I said

We settled on a $200 debt limit, but I had to do the loaning. None of this Fed stuff.

"You didn't pay the $75 inheritance tax" I said

"I didn't have to since you rolled the dice" She said

"So?"

"If you aren't paying attention and roll the dice without making sure I don't pay, I don't have to" She said "It's MONOPOLY"

"I don't think that's in the rules" I said

"That's the way Rachee does it" she replied.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this point. They aren't in the box and the last time I read them was when I was Wookie's age.

"OK" I said, noting the death spiral in Wookie's finances.

"Dad, you think we could start over" she asked

I made an exaggerated show of looking her in the eye.

"I'm not crying" she said

2 comments:

  1. Oh Monopoly! Glad you didn't make her cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I thought the name Wookie had some meaning? She didn't tear off your arms?

    ReplyDelete